Monday, August 22, 2016

Milk & Honey Thoughts

August 22, 2016

Hello lovelies!

“i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful
before i’ve called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you’re born with
is all you have to be proud of
when you have broken mountains with your wit 
from now on i will say things like
you are resilient, or you are extraordinary
not because i don’t think you’re beautiful
but because i need you to know
you are more than that” 
― Rupi Kaur

One of my favorite quotes from the novel by Rupi Kaur is listed above. My recommendation for this novel is a 10/10. I am one-hundred percent in love with this writing style, the passion written in her words and the story of her journey into healing.Over the course of the past few months, this novel has gone viral. I am obsessed, my own copy of this book is being worn down by the folding and creasing made by own hand. I am re-reading this novel and really immersing myself into the book. I found her words profound and I am certain this is because she is so honest, so raw and so unbelievably apologetically herself.

If you haven't read this novel, then I suggest you go get your own copy. I think it's so important every person reads this book, regardless of gender. It makes you think, it teaches you about self love, acceptance, compassion, loss, and femininity (to name a few). This books makes me believe in myself, it makes me want to choose intelligence, love, acceptance, honesty, being raw over caring about the superficial standards of society's portrait of woman. It opened my mind into the dark depths of certain destructive relationships and the inner turmoil everyone goes through when a relationship consumes you. I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't read it yet but it's a beautiful piece. Milk and Honey is filled with poems describing in detail the journey that Kaur went through titled in each section. She touches on each moment and takes you through those turmoil of emotions. It's dark yet filled with depth and love intertwined.

On the other hand, many people are conflicted over whether her words is "poetry" or profound. Personally, I resonated so much with her writing because I've never read anything like it. No author over the course of my life has touched on such insecurities, anger, pain, and heartbreak so vividly. Despite our own unique stories, I believe we've all dealt with our pain, our own heartbreak and insecurities to the point it's brought us to tears. Not everyone is gifted with writing and being so expressive. It was a breathe of fresh air to read her words.

Again, I want to reiterate to please pick up this book online or at your nearest bookstore and decide for yourself. I highly recommend reading this novel at least once in your life. Your reaction may not be the same as mine or anyone else's but reading her words is so important.

Comment below your own review, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment